From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] [SOLVED] Amarok and X.org crashing with hardened gentoo on amd64
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 17:55:43
1 On 14 Jan 2006 at 15:54, Nicolas MASSE wrote:
2 > > ------- Comment #1 from jakub@g.o  2006-01-14 05:07 PST -------
5 > > > So, I watched my /etc/fstab and found :
6 > > > udev /dev tmpfs nosuid,noexec,size=16M 0 0
7 > > >
8 > > > After I removed the noexec flag, all worked perfectly.
9 > >
10 > > You are not supposed to have noexec for udev, it doesn't work on multiple
11 > > occasions.
12 >
13 > I think it's my fault because noexec and nosuid are not standard flags for
14 > udev. But I don't understand why it doesn't work...
15
16 and in my mind i mixed up /dev with /dev/shm which is noexec by
17 default on gentoo. anyway, making /dev noexec would be good as
18 well, and i'd like to know what else (besides mmap(PROT_EXEC)
19 of /dev/zero) breaks. does anyone have more info?
20
21 > The man page of mount does'nt mention the bug :
22 > > noexec Do not allow direct execution of any binaries on the mounted
23 > > file system. (Until recently it was possible to run binaries anyway using
24 > > a command like /lib/ld*.so /mnt/binary. This trick fails since
25 > > Linux 2.4.25 / 2.6.0.)
26
27 'execution' doesn't mean 'execve', it means 'create an executable
28 file mapping', which is what eventually execve does internally.
29 and the noexec mount enforcement (quite correctly) operates at the
30 mmap level (and with PaX, mprotect as well). so mmap(PROT_EXEC)
31 of any file (including /dev/zero) on a noexec mount will be denied.
35 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list