From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Tin Hat 20090119 released
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 00:50:42
1 On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 19:28 -0500, basile wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
6 > Hi everyone,
7 >
8 > Let me respond to all in one email:
11 > 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
12 > > THANK YOU for taking the time to post this valuable information!
13 > > Thanks also for sharing your infectious energy with this mailing
14 > > list; it reinforces the importance of keeping hardened Gentoo
15 > > vital!!
16 >
17 > Hardened Gentoo is *very* important and I think the team would appreciate
18 > knowing where their work ends up: Besides being the basis of Tin Hat,
19 > it is
20 > also the basis of another project of ours (tor-ramdisk) which uses a
21 > uclibc
22 > (not glibc) based hardened gentoo environment to securely house a tor
23 > relay.
24 > Three of our production servers at D'Youville College are hardened gentoo
25 > (virtual.dyc.edu, moodle.dyc.edu and project.dyc.edu) as are a couple of
26 > internal servers. I use hardened gentoo when I teach my security course
27 > to demonstrate various hardening techniques.
28 >
29 > Clearly, we are heavily invested users. Yes, keep hardened Gentoo vital!
32 > Gordon Malm wrote:
33 > > I think Tin Hat is a cool project and they are more than welcome to
34 > >
35 > keep us
36 > > abreast of new releases, along with some short release notes. In
37 > fact, I am
38 > > glad they do. It is hardly spam. Thanks Tin Hat peeps and keep up
39 > >
40 > the good
41 > > work!
42 > >
43 > > Gordon Malm (gengor)
44 >
45 > Thanks Gordon. On another note, I am wondering if you and the other
46 > team members
47 > have any thoughts about PaX/Grsecurity possibly being dropped
48 > upstream. I hate
49 > to see harndened gentoo without it, but there may be no choice.
52 We have discussed this topic and our time is better spent on focusing on
53 the now vs worrying about the future. If/when projects start to stagnate
54 we will deal with those cross-roads when they are upon us.
57 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
58 Gentoo Linux