From: Michael <mycroes@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] qmailadmin, nosuid and tpe
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 08:09:51
1 Hi all,
2
3 Op vrijdag 04-05-2007 om 08:45 uur [tijdzone +0300], schreef Petre
4 Rodan:
5 > hi,
6 >
7 > On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 10:14:50PM +0200, Michael wrote:
8 > > Hi all,
9 > >
10 > > On a hardened server which provides mail and web content I wanted to run
11 > > qmailadmin. qmailadmin uses a binary in cgi-bin which is owned by user
12 > > and group vpopmail, and has suid bit set. Before installing vpopmail I
13 > > had my /var set to be mounted nosuid, because it'll be the first place
14 > > any untrusted person might be able to have write access. So to make
15 > > qmailadmin run from the cgi-bin I had to mount my /var without
16 > > nosuid/with suid, which I'd like not to do, would there be any way
17 > > around this?
18 >
19 > AFAICT qmail is not even expected to run on a non-suid-ed /var. /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue is a qmailq:qmail suid-ed binary.
20
21 Good point, I guess you're very right on that one...
22
23 > and you should worry about /var/tmp not /var I guess.
24
25 Customers will have write access with PHP, at least in some part
26 of /var/www. So there it's more than just /var/tmp in my case, however
27 they shouldn't be able to create any suid files anyway.
28
29 > > The next problem involves tpe (trusted path execution). I set up the
30 > > wheel group as trusted group, so all other groups are untrusted. I think
31 > > I might need to change this so a customer group will become untrusted
32 > > and will contain the users that I don't trust, but if everything works
33 > > this way (every group but wheel untrusted) I think that'd even be
34 > > better... Now the problem is qmailadmin again... It's in the cgi-bin
35 > > dir, which is owned by user and group apache, so apache has write access
36 > > there. qmailadmin is owned by user and group vpopmail, so tpe says it's
37 > > not safe for apache to execute qmailadmin. If I turn tpe off it works
38 > > just fine, but of course I want tpe on.
39 >
40 > you can add a different group just for TPE (not wheel) and as a worst case scenario set it as a supplementary group for all user id's that don't work well with it. but first try to tweak the unix permissions involved in the tpe denial.
41
42 I can't really change anything about the permissions for that certain
43 file, because it needs to be run as vpopmail to have access to some of
44 the vpopmail commands. Your idea about the supplemental group is a good
45 one, I'll keep it in mind if I run into more problems.
46
47 > bye,
48 > peter
49