From: RB <aoz.syn@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened gentoo and hibernation
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:40:12
1 > Hmm, I was thinking, that it is not possible for standard kernel to
2 > disable network access for particular application...
3 > How to do that?
4 It's by user-id, but check out 'iptables -m owner'. Even in
5 hardened-sources, the only additional network control you get is the
6 ability to control which users can make outbound or accept inbound
7 connections.
8
9 > And how about PaX? Is it really so unlikely to be necessary on PC or
10 > laptop for personal use?
11 Not unlikely, but it presumes a compromised local account - definitely
12 a good position to start from, but some of it's controls may interfere
13 with the operation of virtual machines.
14
15 In the end, it is up to you to decide how much security is enough. I
16 don't think the hardened kernels available will measurably improve
17 your security given how you intend to use the system, but that's my
18 opinion and I don't know what your specific needs are. What you ask
19 should be doable with a little work.
20 --
21 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list