From: Julian Rendell <wandering.womble@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] PAX in gentoo incompatible with AMD K6II processors? (PAGEEXEC vs SEGMEXEC)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 08:02:31
1 I've just come across the following page:
2 http://d-sbd.alioth.debian.org/www/?page=pax
3 which states:
4 On i386, there is no NX bit in hardware; thus, one is emulated for a
5 nominal cost. There are two emulation methods, PAGEEXEC and SEGMEXEC.
6 Each method has its own faults and its own merits. It should be noted,
7 however, that on k6-2, PAGEEXEC cannot properly function and SHOULD
8 NOT be enabled. This is due to the k6-2 having a different TLB
9 architecture which in most cases is compatible with other i386
10 processors; the advanced use that PAGEEXEC makes of the TLB is NOT
11 compatible with the k6-2 TLB architecture.
12
13 Is the hardened tool-chain set to use PageExec?
14 If so, how can I change it to use SEGMEXEC?
15 Are there any stages pre-compiled with SEGMEXEC?
16
17 Thanks in advance,
18
19 Julian