From: Max Lorenz <anarchyisgoodforthee@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened server and toolchain updates
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:06:28
1 Hi all.
2
3 On a server I'd normally only update for security and bug fixes or new
4 stuff I'm interested in and until now I pretty much skipped toolchain
5 updates. But in the light of the recent binutils, gcc, etc. updates
6 and as the toolchain contains much of the hardened logic (pie, ssp) my
7 question is: should I always update to the latest (stable) toolchain
8 packages, especially from a security POV? I'm running grsecurity and
9 PaX w/o RBAC if that matters.
10
11 Another question. How long will 2.4 kernels be supported by the
12 Hardened project? Because IIRC grsecurity and RSBAC still recommend
13 the usage of 2.4 kernels as default.
14
15 Thanks in advance,
16 Max