From: Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Running rc-service without run_init
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 13:54:26
1 On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 12:30:57PM +0100, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > > dustin@test-3238ec ~ $ sudo -r sysadm_r -t sysadm_t rc-service nfsmount
3 > > restart
4 > > Password:
5 > > Authenticating root.
6 > > Cannot find your entry in the shadow passwd file.
7 > >
8 > > I'm not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.
9 >
10 > I'll look into it (it's reproduceable).
11 >
12 > Seems that the trick from the blog post doesn't work for sudo. As far as I
13 > can see, the transition to the sysadm_r role and sysadm_t domain work
14 > nicely, and rc-service is a regular bin_t (so it's not about mismatching
15 > transitions).
16
17 I think I found it. It seemed that the integrated run_init support, provided
18 through the runscript_selinux.so library that we provide (for OpenRC) didn't
19 use PAM authentication, even when policycoreutils was built with USE="pam".
20
21 This is because the ebuild didn't use the python-r1.eclass BUILD_DIR
22 location (where the files were compiled earlier in the phase) but the
23 "normal" ${S} location (which contains the sources). As a result, the "make
24 install" phase started building the code, without taking the various USE
25 flags into account, and then installing those files.
26
27 I've pushed out policycoreutils-2.2.5-r2 which should fix this, and the
28 following sudoers like allowed me to check the status of the SSH service
29 without root password request, and without the error on shadow entries:
30
31 oper ALL=(root) ROLE=sysadm_r TYPE=sysadm_t NOPASSWD: /sbin/rc-service
32
33 ~$ sudo rc-service sshd status
34 Authenticating root.
35 * status: started
36
37 Previously, this also gave the mentioned "Cannot find your entry in the
38 shadow passwd file." error.
39
40 Wkr,
41 Sven Vermeulen