From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] XATTR_PAX, paxmark.sh, elog, icedtea, and maybe more
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 02:34:49
1 On 12/13/2014 06:52 PM, Karl-Johan Karlsson wrote:
2 > So it works on ext4, but not ext3, even though both have the ext_attr flag on
3 > disk. Any difference in kernel support?
6 > # uname -r
7 > 3.16.5-hardened
8 >
9 > # gunzip -c /proc/config.gz | grep XATTR
10 > CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR=y
11 > CONFIG_TMPFS_XATTR=y
12 > CONFIG_PAX_XATTR_PAX_FLAGS=y
13 >
14 > # gunzip -c /proc/config.gz | grep EXT[34]
15 > CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
16 > CONFIG_EXT3_DEFAULTS_TO_ORDERED=y
17 > CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR=y
18 > # CONFIG_EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL is not set
19 > CONFIG_EXT3_FS_SECURITY=y
20 > CONFIG_EXT4_FS=y
21 > CONFIG_EXT4_USE_FOR_EXT23=y
22 > # CONFIG_EXT4_FS_POSIX_ACL is not set
23 > CONFIG_EXT4_FS_SECURITY=y
24 > # CONFIG_EXT4_DEBUG is not set
28 just to narrow it down, can you remove the ext3 modules (or just build
29 it out of the kernel) and let the ext4 driver handle it? ext4
30 filesystem driver handles ext2 and ext3, typically with much better results.
31
32 -Zero
33
34 > Not that I can see, especially with CONFIG_EXT4_USE_FOR_EXT23=y. And it should
35 > be an automatic dependency anyway, since PAX_XATTR_PAX_FLAGS is set.
36 >
37 > Which brings us to problem number three: why aren't xattrs working in
38 > $PORTAGE_TMPDIR on ext3 when they are in /bin on ext4?
39 >
40 > Problems one and two are clearly bugs, one in sys-apps/elfix and two in sys-
41 > apps/elfix or the documentation. Should I file them in Bugzilla, or is this
42 > mail enough?
43 >
44 > Problem three seems to be unique to this machine. Does anyone know what's
45 > going on?