From: Nigel Stepp <stepp@×××××××.net>
To: David Nielsen <Lovechild@××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened laptops
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:23:11
1 On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, David Nielsen wrote:
2
3 > 1) what's the speed penalties involved ?
4 > I only have a 500Mhz Celeron chip in my laptop so I'm kinda worried it
5 > will send GNOME down the drain to encrypt the entire FS.
6
7 I have an 800Mhz PentiumIII-mobile processor in my Vaio. I've been
8 running an encrypted root FS (with key on a 16MB USB drive) for serveral
9 months now and have noticed no performance hits. From my experience, if
10 you are doing a large grep or find, the CPU hits 2-3% higher than it
11 normally would.
12
13 > 2) Would this be applicable to encrypting specific partitions - since
14 > I've been looking at encrypting my /home on my desktop as well - most
15 > because I can though.
16
17 Sure, any partition can be mounted via loopback and encrypted. It's
18 super-easy to do with non-root filesystems too, since you don't have to
19 worry about initrd issues. You just unmount it, setup the encrypted
20 loop, encrypt with dd, and mount the encrypted loop where the
21 non-encrypted FS used to be.
22
23 > - David
24 >