From: Peter Buettner <pb@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] su and newrole do not work from normal user account
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:00:09
1 On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 12:28:23 -0400
2 Joshua Brindle <method@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Richard Simpson wrote:
5 >
6 > >>-----Original Message-----
7 > >>From: Peter Buettner [mailto:pb@××××××××××××.de]
8 > >>Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 9:43 AM
9 > >>To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
10 > >>Subject: [gentoo-hardened] su and newrole do not work from normal user
11 > >>account
12 > >>
13 > >>
14 > >>Hello,
15 > >>
16 > >>I performed a stage1 install from the hardened gentoo CD.
17 > >>Installation works fine and without problems.
18 > >>
19 > >>But with the loaded policy it is not possible to do newrole -r or
20 > >>su - from normal user account.
21 > >>
24 > > I believe you would need to allow the role transition. See staff.te. The
25 > > default policy seems to only allow role transitions between staff and
26 > > sysadm. Rather than allowing a role transition to/from the unprivileged
27 > > user_r, it would be more secure to instead grant additional privileges to an
28 > > individual user, or create a new role with privileges applicable for a group
29 > > of users. See staff.te for ideas on this.
30 > >
31 > > Richard.
34 > > --
35 > > gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list
39 > Role transition is not used anywhere in the Gentoo base policy and we do
40 > not recommend it's use unless you have very specific security goals that
41 > it can address, you are refering to role allows, and you are right,
42 > user_r does not have the ability to change roles to sysadm_r. Only
43 > staff_r can do this.
44
45 My problem is that staff_r can't do so.
46
47 Last login: Fri Sep 10 13:59:22 2004 from thor.personalwlan.de
48 sysop@access sysop $ id
49 uid=1000(sysop) gid=100(users) groups=10(wheel),100(users) context=sysop:staff_r:staff_t
50
51 sysop@access sysop $ su -
52 Password:
53 su: Authentication failure
54 Sorry.
55
56 sysop@access sysop $ newrole -r sysadm_r
57 Authenticating sysop.
58 Password:
59 newrole: incorrect password for sysop
64 Peter Büttner
70 > This is a specific design decision, you do not want your administrators
71 > to be user_r and have a user_home_dir_t home directory, you need to
72 > segment them from unprivileged users to keep their files, processes, etc
73 > seperate. The best example of why this is good is, for example, if a
74 > sysadmin logs in with user_r his ssh agent would be user_tmp_t. This is
75 > obviously a bad thing, if he logs in as staff_t then his ssh agent is
76 > staff_tmp_t which wouldn't be accessible at all by unprivileged users,
77 > even if they could bypass DAC.
78 >
79 > Joshua Brindle
80 >