From: "Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike)" <klondike@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened profile for desktops?
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 21:02:22
1 El 08/06/12 09:44, Grant escribió:
2 > I started a discussion on gentoo-user about the fact that the hardened
3 > profile appears to only be for servers and not desktops. I thought
4 > I'd check with you guys on this. Is that the case?
5 I have been using Gentoo on Desktop systems for some time, mainly
6 because it doesn't makes much sense speaking well to others of something
7 without being an example. The Gentoo Hardened system can be used as a
8 Desktop for daily use (I do use it) and by that I also mean I have used
9 it even on demanding tasks like live video streaming from DV cameras
10 (never tried playing games since I'm not that kind of person).
11
12 Of course there are some drawbacks, but the team is aware of them and we
13 do our best to fix these. Some of the ones that come to mind are:
14 * If you plan on using binary drivers you'll need to disable many
15 security protections on a most of the programs since the libraries
16 bundled with them are not hardened friendly.
17 * Some open source graphical drivers (ATI/AMD comes to mind) require JIT
18 code in 3D applications (or hacking LLVM so it will always default to
19 the slooooow interpreter mode). This is a known issue and can be fixed
20 with tools like revdep-pax which allow you to check which are those
21 applications.
22 * In general JIT code is deemed to fail in hardened systems because of
23 mprotect restrictions, this is a known issue and tends to be fixed by
24 disabling JIT code generation in the affected packages or removing the
25 mprotect restrictions on said binaries.
26 * Virtualization is a world in itself, many processors with
27 virtualization extensions (specially older ones without hardware nested
28 pagetables supports) tend to be rather slow with UDEREF and kernexec
29 enabled in kvm. I think this is more of an implementation issue than a
30 real hardware issue but I may be wrong here. As for other solutions each
31 tends to be a world of its own where is better to just try them and see
32 what happens since they tend to be very hardware specific.
33
34 @Grant I generally tend to monitor gentoo-user from time to time to
35 answer to threads involving hardened (although it is hard to read
36 everything so many just pass by ignored), can you please tell me the
37 topic of the thread so I can give it a look and contribute as needed?