From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] virtualization
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 00:32:17
1 Hi!
2
3 On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 10:39:08AM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 > Use KVM, it works well enough. The libvirt and virt-manager stuff was
5
6 I've spend these days playing with it. I've converted Win7 64-bit from my
7 VMware and after fixing a lot of things here and there finally get it to work.
8 It's a little slower than in VMware, but fast enough so it's ok.
9 Video (including youtube/flash) is too slow to be usable, but I don't need it.
10 Everything else works ok.
11
12 I didn't tried Win7 32-bit or XP yet, but I believe they'll work too…
13 after fixing a lot other things here and there, of course.
14
15 But, sad truth is, I'm also need a MacOSX. Because sometimes something
16 don't work there and I need to test/fix it. Moreover, most of users use
17 latest MacOSX version, so I need that one. Or, at least, Lion (10.7).
18 But, according to http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~somlo/OSXKVM/
19 it looks like neither 10.7 nor 10.8 work in qemu at all, and 10.6 require
20 linux kernel patches (which I didn't like because it's maintenance headache).
21 All successful reports related to running MacOSX in qemu which I was able
22 to find are about 10.5, which is too old for my needs (there is also one
23 10.6 preinstalled image on torrents which pretend to be compatible with
24 VMware, VirtualBox and RHEV (and thus qemu), but I didn't see anyone
25 really used that on RHEV, so it may be fake).
28 So, looks like until VMware/VirtualBox support will be fixed for amd64
29 hardened, I can't do my work without maintaining second non-hardened
30 kernel and rebooting between hardened and non-hardened kernels each time I
31 need to test something in other OSes. :(
34 WBR, Alex.