From: Patrick Rutkowski <rutski89@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Building Two Hardened Systems (I'm new to hardened)
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 21:43:33
1 I'm building two new hardened Gentoo systems by the Stage 1 off of a
2 Stage 3 tarball method. I've never done this before. One system if for
3 my xbox, and one is for my desktop pc. I'm bound to use xbox-sources
4 as my linux kernel on one of the builds just because of the unusually
5 circumstances. My desktop PC will serve as a regular old day-to -day
6 linux box, and my xbox will be a web server in a variety of ways.
7
8 So, just how much hardened implementation can I get from my xbox
9 hardened-sources. I hear there is a gcc flag for buffer overflow
10 protection, and even a PaX option in the vanilla 2.6.11 kernel (which
11 is what the core of xbox-sources).
12
13 Also, what exactly does USE="hardened" do for gcc? Thanks for your
14 time, and a great community! :-D
15
16 Peace,
17 rutski89