From: Patrick Rutkowski <rutski89@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Building Two Hardened Systems (I'm new to hardened)
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 21:43:33
I'm building two new hardened Gentoo systems by the Stage 1 off of a
Stage 3 tarball method. I've never done this before. One system if for
my xbox, and one is for my desktop pc. I'm bound to use xbox-sources
as my linux kernel on one of the builds just because of the unusually
circumstances. My desktop PC will serve as a regular old day-to -day
linux box, and my xbox will be a web server in a variety of ways.

So, just how much hardened implementation can I get from my xbox
hardened-sources. I hear there is a gcc flag for buffer overflow
protection, and even a PaX option in the vanilla 2.6.11 kernel (which
is what the core of xbox-sources).

Also, what exactly does USE="hardened" do for gcc? Thanks for your
time, and a great community! :-D

Peace,
rutski89