From: philipp.ammann@××××××.de
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Current kernel status
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2018 10:03:33
1 Hi,
2
3 the last publicly available version of PaX / grsecurity will probably
4 never be ported to work with the Meldown / Spectre fixes.
5
6 The only option is to use minipli's last release (4.9.74) and port all
7 non-spectre related fixes from upstream's 4.9 branch [1] to it. However
8 you should only run such a kernel on CPUs not affected by Meltdown /
9 Spectre, such as the Raspberry Pi or Intel's Atom (the in-order ones
10 codenamed "Bonnell") [2].
11
12 Bear in mind that upstream is porting fixes from PaX to mainline, albeit
13 at a slow pace. I've rebased the last pax-only patch on 4.9.74 but
14 decided for myself that it's not worth maintaining a 4.9 fork.
15
16 Cheers,
17 Philipp
18