From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] XATTR_PAX migration
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 10:11:40
1 On 10/04/2013 12:23 AM, Alex Efros wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 05:26:57PM -0400, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
5 >> You can use XT_PAX provided you're not running something like a
6 >> tinderbox, ie doing massive amounts of ebuilds. The problem is that
7 >> install is being wrapped by install.py. As a result every instance of
8 >> install mean invoking the python interpreter. With lots and lots of
9 >> installs, this adds up to being very slow.
10 >
11 > I think it may be possible to add very ease and effective optimization -
12 > call install.py only for executable files and use /usr/bin/install for all
13 > other files. This can be implemented in single line in
14 > /usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild-helpers/xattr/install. Also it may make sense
15 > to rewrite /usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild-helpers/xattr/install in C.
18 I was hoping a greater generalization than just user.pax.flags so that
19 we can have full end-to-end support for xattrs of any name space we choose.
20
21 The problem that I have not had time to face is, how do I include a
22 compiled version of install at
23 /usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild-helpers/xattr/install? I know how to patch
24 the C, and its is not hard to maintain a separate version of install
25 from coreutils, but how do I include this in portage so that when you
26 emerge portage you get this compiled version?
27
28 I'm cc-ing zmedico. The guru here.
31 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
32 Chair of Information Technology