From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Security Level: high/server/workstation/virtualization
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 13:10:02
1 On 28 Jan 2012 at 4:28, Alex Efros wrote:
2
3 > Hi!
4 >
5 > But... as far as I see, it was just _one_ attempt to access NULL pointer
6 > because of very usual bug. The questions is, why is that triggered
7 > CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_BRUTE? Isn't word "brute" suppose many similar incidents
8 > happened in short period of time, not just one? As for me, killing all
9 > user's processes and disabling it for 15 minutes after single attempt to
10 > access NULL pointer sounds too cruel.
11
12 you should probably read the config help about this option, your questions
13 are answered there. you made a suid executable crash, you wouldn't want an
14 attacker to be able to get away with it either (just think of the recent
15 /proc/pid/mem bug, the *only* thing that can save you is if you use grsec
16 and enable this very brute force protection option). if you don't care about
17 any of this on your personal desktop then just don't enable it ;).