From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] gcc-4.3.4 stabilized for a hardened profile?
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:57:44
1 Grant wrote:
2 >
3 > That's great. I'm up against a mysql upgrade that doesn't want to go
4 > through without the new gcc, so I'm going for it now.
5 >
6 > I have 4 desktops on a non-hardened profile and 1 server on a hardened
7 > profile. I'd love to put the desktops on a hardened profile with this
8 > new gcc. Can I switch from non-hardened to hardened?
9 >
10 > - Grant
13 Yep. Just switch your profile to the hardened one, and emerge system
14 (the FAQ[1] claims only binutils, gcc, and virtual/libc are necessary).
15 Then, switch your compiler, and emerge -ve world to recompile everything
16 with the new GCC.
17
18 Note that I said there were *fewer* problems with gcc-4.x than there
19 were with gcc-3.x hardened. That doesn't mean there aren't problems
20 using hardened for a desktop machine. A few packages, e.g.
21
22 * Non-free video drivers
23 * Wine
24 * Mplayer
25 * OpenOffice
26
27 usually fail unless you switch to vanilla GCC temporarily. Although, now
28 that gcc-4.x is stable, we can probably file these as bugs and get them
29 fixed.
32 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/hardenedfaq.xml