From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] What to do with old 1) profiles and 2) kernels
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 18:03:09
1 On 14/06/2012 17:04, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2 > On 6/14/12 4:51 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >> 1) We still have the old 10.0 hardened profiles on the tree. They've
4 >> been marked deprecated for about two years and I have no idea what state
5 >> they're in. I'm going to punt them in a day unless someone gives me a
6 >> really good reason to keep them.
7 > Sounds good.
8 >
9 > If you have some more time (maybe later) it would be nice to restructure
10 > the profiles so that hardened bits are in profiles/features, to allow
11 > e.g. easy creation of hardened-developer profile.
12 >
13 > Paweł
14
15 +1
16
17 I create my own: /usr/local/portage/profiles/myname/xxx
18
19 And in there I create my own sub profiles for all my linux-vserver builds.
20
21 Actually, there isn't anything I currently need splitting out of the
22 current profiles, so not quite sure what I'm +1-ing, but I guess more to
23 raise awareness that this is quite easy and works extremely nicely
24
25 Oh, as an aside, I have settled on linux-vservers+grsec+pax as my tool
26 of choice for servers (I guess that's roughly a hardened kernel +
27 linux-vserver). I find that vservers are extremely lightweight and easy
28 to maintain and the hardened stuff makes me sleep a little easier (the
29 linux-vserver code already includes all the important restrictions to
30 make it hard to escape from chroots, the grsec/patch parts for that are
31 unnecessary). I would recommend that solution to anyone with a server
32 requirement
33
34 Cheers
35