From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o, gentoo-hardened@l.g.o, musl@××××××××××××××.com
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] yet another alternative libc
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 21:19:31
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I just thought I'd let everyone know that I've built a musl stage4 for
4 amd64 and put it on the mirrors [1]. If you don't know about musl, you
5 can read about it here [2]. Its yet another libc which aims to be a
6 slim and fast.
7
8 I've got a stage4 (kinda/sorta). It is not made using catalyst but
9 rather starts from a musl chroot and builds a new chroot using a
10 ROOT=rootfs emerge -ev @system technique. The scripts are on the releng
11 repo [3]. Right now there are lots of packages which do not immediately
12 build with musl. Mostly these are due to header locations, gnu-isms,
13 gnulib (which assumes way too much about internal implementations) and
14 at least one bug in musl or gcc (depending on who you ask --- exit()
15 compiled with --stack-protector-all). The patches are on the
16 hardened-dev::musl overlay [4]. They are "quickies" and may need work
17 if any are to go upstream.
18
19 A few points about the stage: 1) it doesn't use busybox for its core
20 utilities. I like a robust native development environment from which
21 you can build. 2) Despite the fact that the profile is under hardened,
22 it is still a vanilla stage. I'm working on getting it hardened, but a
23 few packages break when we turn on pie, ssp, relro and/or bind_now.
24
25 Enjoy or ignore at your discretion.
26
27 --Tony
30 Refs.
31
32 [1] http://distfiles.gentoo.org/experimental/amd64/musl/
33
34 [2] http://www.musl-libc.org/
35
36 [3]
37 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/releng.git;a=tree;f=tools-musl
38
39 [4] http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/hardened-dev.git;a=tree
42 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
43 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
44 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
45 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
46 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA