From: Gordon Malm <gengor@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Which profile?
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 22:23:16
1 On Wednesday, February 11, 2009 10:53:46 Tom Hendrikx wrote:
2 >
3 > Then I'll be the one to ask the annoying questions:)
4 >
5 > 1) Why are they there (could be related to some over-enthousiast
6 > non-hardened devs)?
7 >
8 > 2) Why do the profiles in the released hardened stages point to
9 > "../usr/portage/profiles/hardened/linux/x86/2008.0" by default? I
10 > checked this in stage1-x86-hardened-2008.0.tar.bz2 and
11 > stage3-i686-hardened-2008.0.tar.bz2
12 >
13 > 3) As these profiles seem to reflect the new "preferred layout", I
14 > understand that someone added them. But why aren't settings from
15 > supported hardened profiles ported to this new layout, to remove the
16 > ambiguity?
17
18 To make a long story short one hand didn't know what the other was doing. The
19 new profiles are the way I'd like to go, but they need some adjustment and
20 the old profiles should be used for now. The situation is what it is today
21 because nobody (me) has gotten around to fixing+testing the new profiles and
22 dealing with the transition. Not what you wanted to hear probably, but
23 there's much to do in hardened land and not many to do it.
24
25 Gordon Malm (gengor)