From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] New hardened/linux/13.0 profiles
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 18:54:54
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I just added the new hardened/linux/13.0 profiles to the tree for
4 testing. These do not show up under eselect profile and never will ---
5 they are not listed in profile.desc. They are on the tree for testing
6 only. Also, I skipped the minor arches and only added x86 and amd64.
7
8 If you are the adventurous type, then you can test them out for me. Eg.
9 if you are on amd64 and you currently have:
10
11 [18] hardened/linux/amd64 *
12 [19] hardened/linux/amd64/selinux
13 [20] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
14 [21] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux
15 [22] hardened/linux/uclibc/amd64
16
17 then you can tested out the equivalent 13.0 profile by proceeding as
18 follows:
19
20 0) Make sure you have the latest version of portage which supports EAPI=5.
21
22 1) delete your current make.profile sym link. It can be found in one of
23 two locations
24
25 /etc/make.profile #old deprecated location
26
27 or
28
29 /etc/portage/make.profile #new sexy location
32 2) Despite where your old make.profile was, the new one should be in the
33 portage config dir, so
34
35 cd /etc/portage
36
37 3) Create a new sym link
38
39 ln -s ../../usr/portage/profiles/hardened/linux/13.0/amd64 make.profile
40
41 Notice the extra .../13.0/... in there.
42
43 4) You should notice no changes! The 13.0 profiles just pave the way
44 for the goodness that comes with EAPI=5. However, as time goes on, 10.0
45 and 13.0 will diverge.
49 Note to maintainers: It cannot be stressed how crappy the profile
50 system is. I could not find a way around duplicating what we have at
51
52 hardened/linux
53
54 at
55
56 hardened/linux/13.0
57
58 So, if you make a change to any files in the base level of
59 hardened/linux or any subdir of hardened/linux/{amd64,x86} you must
60 manually mirror that change in hardened/linux/13.0.
61
62 Sorry, there is no easy way around this. We will put up with it for
63 about six months and then hardened/linux will inherit 13.0 and
64 hardened/linux/13.0 will go bye-bye. We may have to move faster if 10.0
65 and 13.0 start to diverge too quickly.
66
67 Enjoy!
70 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
71 Chair of Information Technology