From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Technical repercussions of grsecurity removal
Date: Mon, 01 May 2017 09:38:47
1 Hi all,
2
3 There is a nice debate ongoing on the mailinglist [1] on the topic of
4 grsecurity's recent decision to no longer provide the test patches to the
5 public. I'd like to keep the debate on the rationale of it in that
6 discussion, but focus here on what we, from Gentoo Hardened, now need to do
7 or which direction we're going to move forward with.
8
9 [1]
10 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-hardened/message/a06145056b167f52c079bffd9c9a51ac
11
12 The obvious step is indeed to stop further *current* development on
13 hardened-sources. I don't know how many additional patchsets are being
14 implemented in it (blueness? Zorry?) so I don't know if it means that
15 hardened-sources in total is done with or not.
16
17 From the online discussions I also hear that we shouldn't be referring to
18 grsecurity anymore (even when it was still the test patches). This means
19 that we need to update our wiki articles, as well as include a note that the
20 document is only valid until a certain time (I don't want to remove them,
21 for those users that still have older versions running and want to find the
22 documentation on it).
23
24 Now, I mentioned *current* development. Are there other improvements that we
25 can look at which make sense to put into hardened-sources, and are there
26 volunteers to help out with it?
27
28 Wkr,
29 Sven Vermeulen