From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Running short of entropy...
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 00:02:51
1 On 09/03/2010 14:49, Brian Kroth wrote:
2 > I read a couple of interesting threads regarding some arguments for and
3 > against that yesterday.
4 >
5 > My basic reading is that
6 >
7 > - IRF_SAMPLE_RANDOM is due to be replaced by some other interface that's
8 > common to all input devices.
9 >
10 > - There's a general feeling that gathering entropy from a network device
11 > can be remotely influenced and is therefore probably not ideal. In
12 > theory entropy can be obtained fairly well from other sources, like
13 > the various egds mentioned already on this thread, or just by doing
14 > hashes over some other special devices that that kernel already
15 > provides.
18 Hmm, that's interesting reading - thanks for the links
19
20 I'm not a cryto guy, so by definition I'm wrong, BUT, ignoring sources
21 of entropy just seems wrong...
22
23 The argument seems to be that:
24
25 - You can observe network packets to a high accuracy under *some*
26 circumstances
27 - You can also observe other sources of entropy under some circumstances
28 - Therefore under a fairly constrained set of circumstances it would be
29 possible to feed only known entropy into the /dev/random pool
30 - Under these circumstances it might be possible to figure out the
31 output of the rng
32
33 The counter argument is:
34 - Instead my entropy pool just ran dry
35 - This means that all important crypto algorithms are using /dev/urandom
36 anyway
37 - Once the entropy pool runs dry we are purely down to the rng
38 algorithms anyway - so the quality of our rng is severely reduced...
39
40 Seems like you are stuffed either way...
41
42 The two big problems seem to be:
43 - Using the same source for both high quality cryto needs (small number
44 of high quality rng needed) and non crypto needs (eg SSP)
45 - Lack of a unified feed for entropy which can take "poor" sources of
46 entropy and still use them by blending them with higher quality sources
47 (feeding in a known source of entropy from an attacker should not be a
48 problem assuming a secure hash function and enough unknown entropy to
49 make a bruteforce attack impractical)
52 hmm...
55 Ed W