From: Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net>
To: solar@g.o
Cc: Alexander Gabert <pappy@g.o>, gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Ports Security
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 12:47:13
1 I would like to present you an example showing how silly source scanning can
2 be if done without thought:
3
4 qmail and exim
5
6 flawfinder reports more flaws in qmail (10 or so) then in exim (only 1).
7 If one would make a decision based on the flawfinder output only, one would
8 install exim.
9
10 Offcourse if one compares the number of actual security holes found in exim to
11 those found in qmail, one would install qmail.
12
13 So i understand source code analysis as the first step only to create
14 something for developers and admins/users that is able to guide them in
15 security questions.
16
17 some of the next steps i can imagin are:
18 - a ports security policy :)
19
20 - suid scans
21
22 - scans of binaries
23
24 - complexity analysis (we got the code, we got the binaries - if there was
25 createt only 1 biiig binary out of al the code we know that the potential
26 security impact is higher (exim) then if there would have been created
27 several small binaries (assuming modularity, like qmail), etc.
28
29 - dynamic meta-information from external sources (CERT, GLSA Database)
30 This would result in:
31 # emerge -p somemta
32 Calculating dependencies ...done!
33 ebuild information | version | hardened | CERT | GLSA
34 [ebuild N ] net-mail/exim-4.14 - 5 2
35
36 # emerge -p --secinfo somemta
37
38 * net-mail/somemta
39 Latest version available: 4.14
40 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
41 Size of downloaded files: 1,531 kB
42 Homepage: http://www.somemta.org/
43 ebuild Maintainer: someone@×××××××××.org
46 Package is part of gentoo hardened : no
47 CERT Security Advisories for somemta found : 5
48 CERT affecting this version of somemta found : 1
49 GLSA for somemta found : 2
50 GLSA affecting this version of somemta found : 1
51
52 Warnig: This version is affected by several security advisories.
53 It is recommended to not install this version!
54 You may try emerge sync or search at bugs.gentoo.org to get a newer
55 version or contact the ebuild maintainer
56
57 and while you do
58 # emerge somemta
59 you get additional information:
60 * source code analysis report:
61 * 1 potential security flaw found
62 ....
63
64 * compexity analysis report:
65 * package seems to fairly complex, possible security impact: medium
66
67 * suid scan report:
68 * the software would like to install the following suids
69 * 1) /usr/sbin/exim suid root
70 * 2) /usr/sbin/blalaber suid mail
71 What would like to do?
72 -3) install all as shown
73 -1) install all without suid
74 or choose number of binary:
75
76 ofcourse, this all can be enhanced and so on, thats why i put it here :)
77
78 Jan
82 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list