From: Robert Connolly <robert@××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] ssp random bytes solution
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:51:18
1 Hello. I have attached two patches. The linux kernel patch is from Eli
2 Billauer of http://frandom.sourceforge.net/ Full source and docs for this
3 patch are here http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~robert/hlfs/hints/
4 attachments/entropy/frandom-0.8.tar.gz
5
6 This version of frandom includes erandom (economical) which uses frandom as a
7 seed, and uses no entropy from the kernel. The quality of the output bytes
8 has been tested and found to be good quality random. Its not intended for
9 crypto, its for anything else. This version of frandom also features a sysctl
10 interface. The attached kernel patch enables it by default. It can be found
11 in the char devices config menu.
12
13 The attached glibc patch uses the frandom sysctl interface, and has a bug fix
14 (/4). I removed some #ifdefs that I thought should always be defined (maybe
15 someone can double check it, should be okay though). So, install the frandom
16 kernel first (built in, not module), reboot, and replace this attached glibc
17 patch with the original glibc-ssp patch, and install glibc.
18
19 The finished result will stop SSP from draining kernel entropy. Preformance
20 might be a bit better then using /dev/urandom too. And sysctl will work threw
21 chroot without depending on a device in /dev.
22
23 Comments, questions?
24
25 I'm subscribed to this list, please don't cc me.
26
27 Robert

linux-2.4.26-frandom-1.patch.gz application/x-gzip
glibc-2.3.3-ssp-frandom-1.patch.gz application/x-gzip