From: Radek Madej <radegand@××.pl>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened profile for desktops?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 18:02:44
1 Hi
2
3 On 06/08/12 07:44, Grant wrote:
4 > I started a discussion on gentoo-user about the fact that the hardened
5 > profile appears to only be for servers and not desktops. I thought
6 > I'd check with you guys on this. Is that the case?
7 I'm using hardened on 3 laptops and 1 desktop, more or less on a daily
8 basis (typing from one now :)), and I've been using gentoo hardened
9 desktop for a number of years. I've been running either XFCE or KDE
10 desktops mostly, on nvidia, ati or intel cards. Mind you, I don't care
11 about hardware acceleration and I stay with OS drivers whenever I can.
12 From my experience, getting the binary video drivers to work quite
13 often requires disabling mprotect on whole lot of stuff (everything in
14 nvidia case?), which IMHO, undermines the idea of hardening a system in
15 the first place :)
16
17 You do run occasionally into some issues, where you need to use paxctl
18 to get something to work (usually disabling the mprotect restrictions)
19 but most of the time things just work :) And recently you get a proper,
20 hardened (not paxmarked) firefox and thunderbird out of the box
21 too...purely awesome! :)
22
23 Even mplayer can get all the hardened goodies and still works fine... ;]
24
25 Radek