From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Bought an "entropy-key" - very happy
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:02:28
1 On 25/03/2010 19:38, pageexec@××××××××.hu wrote:
2 >
3 >> That somebody with a few probes and a 50 quid USB logic analyser can't
4 >> capture the entropy that was delivered to the system. (One of the
5 >> target markets is installation in shared co-location facilities.)
6 >>
7 > do they also protect against impersonation? from your other answers
8 > i infer that there's some (mutual?) authentication between the device
9 > and the kernel, so it should be possible ;).
14 That's what it says here:
15 http://www.entropykey.co.uk/tech/
16
17 It certainly needs an encryption key on the userspace daemon bit, which
18 unless the person coding is very silly, usually implies that the PC is
19 defended against impersonation
20
21 It seems way overkill for what I wanted, but the end result is that it
22 does seem to be a very well thought out device, even more so considering
23 all the other hardware devices I found through google are in the 400
24 euro area (and at least two I looked at were thunking great big
25 bricks...). This thing is well inside my toy buying threshold...
26
27 Ed W