From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened experience in grsecurity forum
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:27:37
1 On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 06:56, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
2 > Hello!
3 >
4 > On the 24. NeoMike answered to the thread
5 > -is only grsecurity enough, or -fstack-protector
6
7 Where is the reference thread? which list?
10 > We could use those results too. I am really interested about the
11 > experience w/ SSP and -O -O2 -O3 -O4+.
12 > He says the best for hardened is -Os, the other optimizations "kill" SSP.
13
14 Without knowing the the thread in question it's hard to make a guess as
15 to what he ment. But using the gcc optimization flag -O3 has been known
16 to be problematic with stack-smashing protector (SSP) in some
17 situations. This optimization flag is not encouraged by the hardened
18 team.
19
20 However on June 23 Etoh made a change to ssp which may of made the
21 optimizer when using -O3 not eliminate the protection instruments so
22 things may have changed.
25 > What do you think of this?
26 >
27 > Peter
28 --
29 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
30 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer