From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Tips for upgrading to the current stable gentoo hardened?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:23:05
1 On 15/06/2011 11:55, Kārlis Repsons wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I've got a machine, which hasn't been upgraded for some 2 years or less. It
5 > has GCC-4.3.4 and now I tried to upgrade to 4.5.2, but something failed. So
6 > I'm here to ask for the right sequence of upgrades and other actions before
7 > it's too late...
8 >
9 > These actions done already:
10 > 1. updated binutils,
11 > 2. updated glibc,
12 > 3. unmerged and re-emerged libtool (had a blocker),
13 > 4. tried with the new GCC, but failed with some unclear problems,
14 > 5. switched to vanilla GCC and now compile glibc...
15 >
16 > So have I done something bad or what should I do to be sure that the upgrade
17 > goes as smooth as possible? Thanks...
18
19 You didn't give any info on the problems you had using gcc 4.5 so very
20 hard to comment. However, roughly the upgrade of any gcc is as per the
21 docs (upgrade, switch to it, upgrade libtool, emerge -ev system)
22
23 Likely problems you had were dependencies upgrading from a very old
24 system? Remember there is no harm in masking your gcc, upgrading, then
25 upgrading gcc is this solves some dependency? (Slower)
26
27 Remember to backup the machine...
28
29 Ed W