From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Running short of entropy...
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 17:02:36
1 Hi, running an up to date hardened+grsec+pax on x86_64bit system (quad
2 core2) and I think I may be running short of entropy, presumed due to SSP?
3
4 Essentially I have two or three digit numbers from
5 /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail
6 The grsec "larger entropy pools" option is enabled
7
8 The LFS notes suggest that erandom is a possible solution. Does anyone
9 have any notes on dropping SSP into a lower quality/faster random number
10 source?
11
12 I don't have physical access to all machines, so any interesting cheap
13 random number generator dongles would be interesting to know about, but
14 will not be a full solution in this case. If I'm missing some obvious
15 option which is available on recent Intel/AMD hardware which might give
16 me larger amounts of entropy then please shout?
17
18 Thanks for any advice
19
20 Ed W