From: Pavel Labushev <p.labushev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Security Level: high/server/workstation/virtualization
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:12:26
1 27.01.2012 21:26, Alex Efros wrote:
2
3 > As for me, spending ~1% performance for ~all hardened is good trade off,
4 > but spending 4% more for protection against leaking information in freed
5 > memory is too much for workstation (and for most servers too), so I
6 > recommend to change workstation security level to not enable
7 > CONFIG_PAX_MEMORY_SANITIZE by default.
8
9 Isn't sacrificing 4% of performance to prevent attackers from circumventing
10 all the other measures like KERNEXEC and UDEREF with an arbitrary write and
11 a kernel memory leak a fair deal? I think it is, often than not.
12
13 If you need some profiles to favour small performance gains over more secure
14 defaults, then maybe you should propose additional profiles to accomplish
15 exactly that, and clearly state that 4% gain in the config help.