From: Wael Nasreddine <mla@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] New to Hardened, few questions before switching to Hardened.
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 08:06:21
1 Hello,
2
3 I have a server which should run the following servers:
4 - Apache
5 - Lighttpd
6 - postfix, authentications via mysql
7 - courtier-imap, authentications via authdaemon via mysql
8 - mysql
9 - Azureus ( console UI, ran within GNU Screen, controlled via AzSMRC plugin )
10 - torrentflux ( so mostly perl and python processes )
11
12 So obviously the first question is, Does all the required packages above, run
13 smoothly with Gentoo Hardened?? If not, could you please tell me what
14 wouldn't and if it could be tweaked to.
15
16 On my first try to install it ( a simple chroot on my laptop ), I was
17 following the gentoo official guide[1], First I ran through a weird
18 issue, building libselinux failed because asm/page.h not found, so I
19 just copied it from /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/page.h, but the
20 second was weirder, The guide[2] states the modification of
21 /etc/selinux/config file, but I couldn't find this file, is the
22 guide[1] outdated ?? If yes, Any new/updated guide ??
23
24 On the guide[3], I couldn't find all the kernel configs and a lot are
25 not mentioned, could someone using hardened-sources with the
26 recommended settings send me the kernel's .config so I could use it as
27 a start and customise it myself ?? Or perhaps a new/updated guide ??
28
29 Finally, I have a question about SELinux and the other security
30 packages, how hard is it to learn them? I never used them, I mean I'm
31 using linux since 5 years but never been on an SElinux environment
32 before...
33
34 [1]: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/selinux/selinux-handbook.xml
35 [2]: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/selinux/selinux-handbook.xml?part=2&chap=3
36 [3]: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/grsecurity.xml
37
38 Regards,
41 Wael Nasreddine
42 http://wael.nasreddine.com
43 PGP: 1024D/C8DD18A2 06F6 1622 4BC8 4CEB D724 DE12 5565 3945 C8DD 18A2
44
45 .: An infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs,
46 would never make a good program. (L. Torvalds 1995) :.