From: "Tóth Attila" <atoth@××××××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] systemd transition
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 02:27:25
1 I've just want to report about the progress I've made converting from
2 openrc to systemd. I've converted my laptop first and working on the
3 server.
4
5 I could not remove udev and emerge systemd in a single turn. Maybe it's
6 just my config - I don't know. But if you remove udev, you can run into
7 difficulties while trying to compile. So what I did was to ebuild systemd
8 until the install stage, remove udev, qmerge systemd, and do an udev
9 reload right after. That basically kept me running into any device related
10 problems while the short time period udev is not there.
11
12 I reconfigured grsecurity's PROC protection part and put polkitd into the
13 group I provide access to the proc filesystem.
14
15 Packages merged smoothly (I blocked all Gnome 3.8 related packages because
16 of the systemd dependency).
17
18 I still have problems with gdm. Maybe some retained fragments of some
19 really old version of the daemon. I'm rolling these systems for a decade
20 now. Also experienced problems with lxdm. X started up fine for the
21 display manager, but when I tried to log in, the screen stalled. No panel
22 ever appeared. No useful error messages I could find anywhere. So I fell
23 back to the good old slim. It works fine and loads the LX environment for
24 me. That was it.
25
26 It took some time for me to accommodate grsecurity rules for the new init.
27 It wasn't so bad. At least it wasn't harder compared to the transition to
28 openrc.
29
30 Now the conversion of the server has been mostly finished. I'm still
31 struggling with missing unit files. Like: squid, opendkim, sshguard,
32 iptables, dcc, some milters. Not to mention unrealircd or anope.
33 Fortunately other distros already gathered experience and the adventurous
34 traveler can find some sample files in many cases (but not all).
35
36 The preferred way seems to be to star-up a service in a non-forking mode.
37 Systemd remains connected and collects the output it pumps in its journald
38 (the administrator can also attach its favorite syslog-ng for further
39 processing). Some daemons have no-daemon option.
40 One exception is ekeyd. I'm studying the Suse way of making it
41 systemd-ready. Sshguard can be either run in the regular forking mode or
42 some modifications must be applied.
43
44 I think conversion is feasible, but the many services are not prepared
45 right now and require extra effort.
46
47 I haven't rebooted yet, so I'm curious how the bonding configuration will
48 work for the first time with this new init system. I hope I should not
49 turn to the remote management card to fix that...
50
51 I hope these few lines provide some information for the curious or help
52 the decision of others. I also hope I don't have to change init system in
53 a couple of years after openrc and systemd. As I'm growing up I can show
54 less enthusiasm for such intrusive changes nowdays...
55
56 BR: Dw.
57 --
58 dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus, 06-20-825-8057
59 Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057