From: Timo Boettcher <spida@×××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Cc: Daniel Struck <community@××××××.lu>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] OPIE (Onetime Passwords In Everything)
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:42:06
1 Hi Daniel,
2
3 Nachricht vom Donnerstag, 19. Juni 2003, 20:41:20:
4
5 > Hello,
8 > Are there any efforts made to provide gentoo with alternative way of
9 > logging in?
10
11 > I am currently researching methods how I can authenticate users
12 > within a LAMP-system (Linux Apache Mysql PHP) and I came across One-time passwords.
13
14 > There does exist OPIE for Unix, which allows on a software basis to
15 > log into the machine with onetime passwords.
16
17 > Although it is important to harden the software basis, to provide a
18 > secure environment, wouldn't it also be important to also provide a
19 > safer means of authenticating the users?
20
21 > So, I just wanted to know if there are any research made to provide
22 > gentoo with alternative ways of authenticating users, maybe also by
23 > smartcards / etokens, ...?
24
25 I was thinking about generating time-based passwords (lets say
26 md5(now()+"secret")) with a java-enabled cellphone...
29 Timo
33 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list