From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Bought an "entropy-key" - very happy
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:02:34
1 On 26/03/2010 14:15, Brian Kroth wrote:
2 > Here's another graphing tool I started using since whoever started this
3 > thread got me hooked on the subject :)
4 > http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin:Entropy
7 Nice
8
9 For those using snmpd (eg cacti) all I did was add this line to my
10 /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file:
11 exec .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.60 entropy /bin/cat
12 /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail
13
14 Then I used a template from the cacti mailing list to easily pull that
15 into a graph in cacti and plot it
16
17 > Things are much worse, even for physical machines, than I originally
18 > suspected, so I'm now thinking about trying to setup something like this
19 > in conjunction with both the entropy key and the timer_entropyd so that
20 > I can provide an entropy service to various clients.
21 > http://www.vanheusden.com/entropybroker/
24 I don't have audio, video or builtin hw rand on my servers, so I could
25 only user timer_entropyd. This chewed about 2-5% CPU on one very
26 lightly loaded quad core intel board and kept the entropy at about
27 80-100%. On my other AMD dual core live server, it chewed more like
28 5-15% cpu (not sure why) and mostly it keeps entropy at 70-100%, but
29 with regular dips to zero (server is pretty lightly loaded, load average
30 around 0.2). Unless you are a complete tinfoil hatter then this is
31 probably plenty
32
33 The ekeyd keeps the machine at 100% entropy (actually it keeps it at
34 slightly *over* 15,000 bytes which is the pool size - I'm not quite sure
35 how/why it's keeping the pool at 101% filled, but there you go). CPU
36 load is zero
37
38 For distributing entropy around, the entropykey comes with a basic egd
39 compatible socket and you simply setup an egd client (also supplied) to
40 read from that socket. I don't believe this is encrypted, so
41 entropybroker looks better over a real network, but it's also not yet in
42 portage (anyone got some time to contribute an ebuild?)
43
44 So from a "it's done" point of view, the entropy key really is a very
45 simple and low CPU solution.
46
47 Ed W