From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Migration guide.
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 12:32:16
1 On 01/03/2013 10:31 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 01/03/2013 08:45 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >> Can people please comment on the PT_PAX to XATTR_PAX migration guide
4 >> before I put it up on line
5 >>
6 >> http://dev.gentoo.org/~blueness/zzz/pax-migrate-xattr.xml
9 > Everything looks good to me except the overlay instructions. The
10 > suggestion to copy the overlay eclass on top of the portage one is a
11 > little dubious. Can you sync afterwards?
12
13 I agree. I'll drop that suggestion. Its what I did for quick testing
14 but not appropriate for long term. It would not survive a sync.
17 > You also mention adding the overlay and "make sure you set up your
18 > repos.conf." I'm just not sure what you mean there, I've never used
19 > repos.conf for anything. What am I supposed to do with it?
20
21 In /etc/portage/repos.conf you should add
22
23 [DEFAULT]
24 class-overrides = hardened-dev
25
26 This causes the eclass from the overlay to override the default eclass
27 from the portage tree. man portage and you'll see. I'll add a blurb
28 about it in the howto.
31 > Unrelated: would it make sense at some point to set USE=xattr in the
32 > profile if this is the way forward?
33
34 Good point. I'll look into making it part of the profiles for all
35 hardened systems.
38 > Oh and I think USE="ptpax xtpax" is redundant now, but you probably know
39 > that.
40
41 It is and it isn't. I have IUSE="+ptpax +xtpax" in the ebuild. What I
42 wanted to say here was "don't turn off either because we'll need both
43 for the migration". I think I'll take out the USE="ptpax xtpax" and
44 just and an English sentence warning not to turn of either.
45
46 Thanks for the feedback!
49 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
50 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
51 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
52 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
53 GnuPG ID : D0455535