From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Entropy Management?
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 06:02:19
1 On 09/18/2012 06:27 PM, Walter Stanish wrote:
2 > Hi there,
3 >
4 > This is a bit general, rather than a specific suggestion, since I
5 > don't think I can make tomorrow's meeting maybe people might like to
6 > discuss it there.
7 >
8 > Reading the more recent OpenSSL man page it occurred to me that there
9 > may be a potential with some types of daemons (such as recent OpenSSL
10 > run with the 2.x default of --key-method 2) to facilitate remote
11 > system entropy exhaustion as a type of DoS.
12 >
13 > I am aware of entropy gathering daemons but none so much for entropy
14 > as an input to overall system management (connection throttling,
15 > control group freezing, etc.).
16 >
17 > Has there been any attempt to integrate system entropy management with
18 > any major Linux distribution?
19 > Has Gentoo hardened looked at entropy impact of various packages?
20 >
21 > I think there could be some research potential here.
22 >
23 > The first step might be to establish suitably automated mechanisms for
24 > formal testing of package / package revision entropy impact under
25 > various test loads, with a view towards enhancing the visibility and
26 > ease of entropy management across hardened gentoo systems.
27 > - I'm not sure if there is an automated test suite set up within the
28 > Gentoo infrastructure at present, though some packages have built-in
29 > tests, and some packages have a USE flag to enable/disable these, it
30 > seems difficult to re-run these tests after packages are emerged.
31 > - There are also more general testing tools such as the Apache
32 > Project's 'ab' and 'bonnie++' that could be used for some types of
33 > packages.
34 >
35 > Whilst it is easily possible to monitor entropy over time (eg: using
36 > rrdtool configured to source data from
37 > /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail) I have never heard of any
38 > attempt to monitor this availability over time and integrate it in to
39 > system management. I have however heard of problems with relatively
40 > commonly deployed daemons (I forget which now, but not so long ago it
41 > happened to me too) wherein entropy exhaustion causes a complete
42 > functional DoS for a process blocking for unavailable entropy.
43 >
44 > Perhaps a new control group implementation for maximum entropy draw
45 > rate per namespace might also be a useful contribution to the kernel?
46 >
47 > I suppose this sort of thing is tending to increase in importance as
48 > the density of services per physical system increases under the
49 > continuing trend towards high density virtual hosting (either
50 > container based or paravirtualized).
51 >
52 > First post here ... hope I'm not completely off track with this, just
53 > throwing the idea out there.
54 >
55 > Cheers,
56 > Walter
59 Like you said, there are some entropy gathering daemons (I use em in
60 VMs), so that's a good place to start I think. After that, I would
61 probably go with some hardware rng solution if you determine this to be
62 that much of a risk.
63
64 Since you can keep http connections open for long periods of time with
65 HTTP/1.1 that can also be used to help mitigate some exhaustion (rate
66 limit people). In fact, rate limiting in general is probably good.
69 -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)