From: Brett Johnson <brett@××××.com>
To: gentoo-hppa@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hppa] Suddenly cannot open root partition
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 23:09:03
On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 07:30:56PM -0300, Mauro Maroni wrote:
> I am not 100% sure but I believe udev had > been updated a couple of days before and the problem occured after that. >
If you would like to confirm if udev did get upgraded, You can boot from CD, enter chroot (refer to the gentoo handbook, just don't do the fdisk or formats ;-) and emerge genlop. This is a great tool that reports on the emerge activity. From there you can type "genlop -l" and is will show you all the packages emerged and when. If you feel (or confirm) that the problem is related to udev, you may want to back down to the previous version you had installed. Hopefully it's still in the tree. If it's not, this is a good time to add the the --buildpkg option to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS in /etc/make.conf, that way you will have binary packages for each package you emerge going forward, and can easily revert in case of emergency.
> I also noticed that it only can see the root partition (in read-only > mode of course), but /boot (/dev/sda4) and /mnt/disk2 (/dev/sdb1) both > shows as if they were empty (ls shows nothing inside them)
Can you see the other partitions when booting off the CD? Before you enter the chroot environment above, make sure you mount all your partitions as you did during the install. Hopefully you can see the data and the other partitions. If not it sounds like you have may have some drive corruption. Good luck! Brett -- gentoo-hppa@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-hppa] Suddenly cannot open root partition Mauro Maroni <mmaroni@××××××.ar>