From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-hppa@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hppa] Samba problem
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:28:19

I'm new to this quiet place :) While I've been running Gentoo on x86 for
over a year now, I just started using it for an old HP crate (Visualize
B132L), and so far it's been going resonably well.
Now there's a problem though: I emerged Samba 3.0.21b (the HP is gonna
be a file server) and it refuses to start:

| # /etc/init.d/samba start
|  * samba -> start: smbd ...
| /usr/sbin/smbd: error while loading shared libraries: unexpected reloc type 0x42  [ !! ]
|  * samba -> start: nmbd ...
| /usr/sbin/nmbd: error while loading shared libraries: unexpected reloc type 0x42  [ !! ]
|  * Error: stopping services (see system logs)
|  * samba -> stop: smbd ...
|  * samba -> stop: nmbd ...

Google tells me this is an HPPA-specific problem and likely related to
an old glibc version. Now I do have the latest stable version for HPPA,, and samba is stable as well so this shouldn't be
happening, should it? Perhaps only people who use a newer glibc tested
it before it went stable?
I'll try samba 3.0.14a-r2 today, it's said not to have this problem. If
I have a lot of time (haven't been used to compile times like this since
I deserted from NetBSD on my old Amiga to an Athlon box) I'll also try
the combination with a newer glibc---maybe if I can leave the box alone
next weekend.

I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0  8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-hppa] Samba problem Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>