From: Brett Johnson <brett@××××.com>
To: gentoo-hppa@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hppa] Gentoo live CD on HP D360
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:22:01
1 On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 02:46:48PM +0100, gwhiteside@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Folks,
3 >
4 > I'm trying to install 2.6.16.1-pa4-livecd32 on an HP
5 > D360 box with a serial console.
6 >
7 > I first tried booting with all palo settings as
8 > default. i.e.
9 >
10 > Information: No console specified on kernel command
11 > line. This is normal.
12 > PALO will choose the console currently used by
13 > firmware (serial).Current command
14 > line:
15 > 0/vmlinux initrd=initrd TERM=linux root=/dev/ram0
16 > init=/linuxrc cdroot looptype=
17 > squashfs loop=/image.squashfs hda=scsi hdb=scsi
18 > console=ttyB0
19 > 0: 0/vmlinux
20 > 1: initrd=initrd
21 > 2: TERM=linux
22 > 3: root=/dev/ram0
23 > 4: init=/linuxrc
24 > 5: cdroot
25 > 6: looptype=squashfs
26 > 7: loop=/image.squashfs
27 > 8: hda=scsi
28 > 9: hdb=scsi
29 > 10: console=ttyB0
30 >
31 > <#> edit the numbered field
32 > 'b' boot with this command line
33 > 'r' restore command line
34 > 'l' list dir
35 > ? 0
36 >
37 > It boots OK, but then the console seems to get messed
38 > up. (It's OK until login stage). Sometimes characters
39 > don't echo, line feeds are all over the place, and the
40 > prompts are really irratic - it's like a getty is
41 > sharing the same console as a shell. :o/
42 >
43 > Example:
44 > =====================================================
45 >
46 > Please report any bugs you find to
47 > http://bugs.gentoo.org. Be sure to include
48 > detailed information about how to reproduce the bug
49 > you are reporting.
50 > Thank you for using Gentoo Linux!
51 >
52 > livecd root #
55 > livecd root # ls
56 > livecd root # Login incorrect
59 > livecd login:
60 > livecd root #
61 > Password: pwd
62 > /root
63 > livecd root #
64 > Login incorrect
65 >
66 > ls
67 > livecd root #
68 > livecd login:
69 >
70 > =====================================================
71 >
72 > I then tried booting with palo option 10 deleted. (No
73 > console option in boot command). This time I got a
74 > stable console prompt, but it now wants a login and I
75 > don't have the password. I see on a PC platform the
76 > user has to ctrl-alt-F1 to another console and use
77 > passwd to set the root password, but I can't do that
78 > in this case.
81 > =====================================================
82 > This is livecd.gentoo (Linux parisc
83 > 2.6.15.1-pa4-livecd32) 13:23:49
84 >
85 > livecd login:
86 >
87 > =====================================================
88 >
89 > Any ideas?
90 >
91 > Thanks,
92 >
93 > Graham.
94 > --
95 >
96 I had the same problem when I installed on my K200. What I ended up
97 doing was fighting with the console to get the root password changed and
98 sshd started. Once I had that (took on average over 20 minutes of
99 messing around), I just ssh'd in and did the install remotely. I never
100 could figure out why the login prompt keept appearing. I did notice a
101 pattern on when the login prompt appeared, and I just had to time my
102 passwd command to work between the login prompt cycles. You have to
103 trust the keyboard, and not the console ;-)
104 --
105 gentoo-hppa@g.o mailing list