From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] educating users
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:31:25
On Tuesday 20 September 2005 03:32, Zac Medico wrote:
> Paul J. Wilson wrote: > > Regular, everyday users tend not to have the time to spend on the > > finer points of linux and gentoo in particular. > > These "everyday users" are unqualified to administrate a Gentoo box for > various reasons including the inherent complexity of a source based > distribution. A binary distribution with lots of "hand holding" would > better suit their needs. Perhaps they could even use a binary > distribution of Gentoo itself, but supported by some other entity. > > Sure, an "everyday user" can *use* Gentoo, but administration is best > left to experts. That's all IMO, of course. ;)
I think this indeed sums it up well. Gentoo is not aimed at users who do not want (or are not capable) to learn some more complex parts of the unix/linux operating system. That does not mean it's insuitable for newbees, it means that they have a steep learning curve ahead. Gentoo is not the most easy distribution around, and this is not the aim of gentoo. Gentoo is, like any other distro, not a 20 legged spider. It is a source based distribution with the goal of offering an uptodate, flexible, vanilla system. Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage:

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-installer] educating users Jesse McNelis <jessta@×××××.com>