From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Installer update 2004-10-12
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 01:09:11
1 On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 23:34, Eric Sammer wrote:
2 >
3 > - There has been a lot of talk about Sun hardware and the size
4 > limitations on netboot images. Netbooting is a requirement for a lot of
5 > SPARC and MIPS based hardware so we need to find people who can do
6 > research and testing on a workable solution to getting SPARC / MIPS
7 > hardware to a point at which control can be passed to the installer on a
8 > live file system (similar to x86 hardware after booting from a cd). A
9 > number of other installers have worked around this (or made it work
10 > somehow) so we just need to find the proper resources to work through this.
13 FYI - Thanks to gmsoft and spanky, catalyst now contains (beta) code for
14 netboot image building. The code supports all Gentoo supported arches,
15 and then some. If you would like to test it out (please do), update your
16 Catalyst CVS tree or wait until 1.1.0 hits the tree ;)
17
18 Cheers,
19 --
20 John Davis