From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-installer] Status updates and info
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 03:10:13

There has been a surge in activity on the installer project as of late.
I'm going to give a very broad overview of some of the things that have
happened or are happening. If you have questions, I invite you to ask on
list, in #gentoo-installer on freenode, or off list if you're more
comfortable doing that.

-- Tangible --

Coding has picked back up on GLIInstallProfile. Profiles instantiation
from XML files is greatly enhanced and has been made more generic.
Overall improvements have been made to the profile object. (See

Work has begun on an implementation of the architecture templates
discussed in the design documents. While still relatively generic and
rough, it has brought a number of points to light and allowed us to
answer some questions about design and how it translates to
implementation. (See GLIInstallTemplate)

A module of generic utility functions has been broken out to make common
tasks easier and more focused. (See GLIUtility)

Minor code restructuring has been done to facilitate recent changes.

-- Organizational --

A developer by the name of Scott Myron (samyron on freenode) has been
regularly contributing quality code to the project. Scott is "on loan"
to us from our friends at Indiana University. Contrary to the previous
statement, Scott is not property even if it sounds funny that way.
(Watch in the future for more news about Scott... hint hint.)

Karl Trygve Kalleberg (or karltk as most of us know him) is back from
his Real Life Hiatus(tm) and will become more involved in the coming
::insert plural time unit here::

The community continues to contribute new and interesting ideas and
we're doing our best to integrate said ideas into the prototype.

Please feel free to drop by #gentoo-installer with questions and / or to
say hi.

Eric Sammer
Gentoo Linux