From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Newbie
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:50:53
1 On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 15:34 +0200, Mark Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hi there
3 >
4 > I'm new to the list and new to Gentoo.
5 >
6 > I've heard a few different opinions about installation. Some say that I
7 > should use the first installation CD of release 2005.0 and then download
8 > the rest from the net. Others say I should use the packages CD and
9 > install what I can off there and then download off the net.
10 >
11 > What are the benefits of each?
12 > Bear in mind that I only have a dial-up connection.
13
14 This list is for the Gentoo Linux Installer project, and has nothing to
15 do with general support. You're probably looking for gentoo-user
16 instead. That being said, I'll answer your question.
17
18 Use the Universal CD + Packages CD if you're on dial-up. Better yet,
19 wait a little while, as we are nearing our next release. Gentoo is
20 *very* network heavy, so you may end up not liking it if you're only on
21 dial-up, but I leave that up to you, as there are many people that use
22 it just fine, doing downloads overnight.
25 Chris Gianelloni
27 Games - Developer
28 Gentoo Linux