From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] a few different questions
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 04:25:16
1 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Eric Sammer wrote:
3 >> I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "real time" but the physical
4 >> commands will be shelled out where required. If you're asking if we're
5 >> going to reimplement fdisk in pure python, the answer is a certain
6 >> "no." ;)
7 >
8 > By real-time, I mean that if you create your partition layout in the
9 > frontend and then click 'Next ->', it will fire off a function call to
10 > the installer core which will put that partition layout into effect.
11
12 Aha. I see now. No, all action is delayed until all decision making is
13 complete. This is for two reasons (one intended, one a nice side
14 effect): 1. The front end is acting as just a special kind of install
15 profile editor of sorts so teh backend is really the automated
16 deployment part with some of the features missing. This makes for very
17 good reuse of design / code. 2. Users like to experiment and a "Back"
18 button is a nice comfort to newer users. Blowing away their partition
19 table prior to all decisions being made might upset some folks.
20
21 > Just the same as most installers work, instead of how the GLIS frontend
22 > and backend works.
23
24 Actually, as far as I know, most installers delay destructive actions
25 even if they *say* they don't. Of course, I haven't looked at the code
26 for any of these products recently, but it seems logical that if you
27 performed a destructive operation such as altering a partition table
28 *and* you provided a back button... well, I just don't know how you'd
29 make that work in a reasonable, predictable, and safe fashion.
30
31 > With the frontend that Scott Hadfield and I jointly
32 > wrote for GLIS, the frontend creates the config file which gets passed
33 > to the backend when the config is done. That is not real-time.
34
35 Right. This will function in a similar manner. I think this is a better
36 design than firing off each part piecemeal.
37
38 > Everybody is repeating themselves, even me. ;)
39
40 It's good for all the stuff it's good for.
43 Eric Sammer
44 Gentoo Linux
45 http://www.gentoo.org