From: Spencer Ogden <spencer@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-installer] Amd64 Installer
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 22:14:00
1 I posted this to the amd64 list, but thought it might be more
2 appropriate here (at least question 1):
3
4 I recently tried using the 2005.1 installer on an Athlon 3200 Venice
5 running on a GIGABYTE GA-K8N51PVMT-9, which has an Nvidia 430 chipset (I
6 believe it is referred to as either C51 or MCP51 in the kernel).
7
8 I ran into two problems.
9
10 1) The boot process hangs on loading the sata_nv module. Using noload=
11 allows the boot process to proceed. But I doubt I would have access to
12 my HD
13
14 2) Sometime after init starts I get a Kernel Panic.
15
16 As a result I tried using the x86 2005.1 installer, which has worked fine.
17
18 My question is twofold:
19
20 1) How can I help in diagnosing the Kernel Panic? What information would
21 be useful? My understanding is that this is a new chipset and at least
22 kernel version 2.6.14 is needed (I'm running 2.6.15 under x86). What
23 version does the installer use?
24
25 2) I guess by using x86 I am basically running my machine in 32-bit
26 mode? Is there a way to transition to amd64, or will I have to
27 reinstall? How much am I missing?
28
29 Thanks for your help, I've been a happy Gentoo user for a few years and
30 this my first excursion into another architecture,
31
32 Spencer
33 --
34 gentoo-installer@g.o mailing list