From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] how to setup deployment server
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 05:09:14
1 On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 04:24:13PM -1000, Gavin Seo wrote:
2 > Does anyone have any documentation/guides on how to setup a automated
3 > deployment server? I currently want to install gentoo on 30 nodes, I have
4 > an existing machine running gentoo that has identical hardware to the 30
5 > nodes that need gentoo system installed. If anyone has experience in
6 > setting up a deployment server, it would be greatly appreciated if you
7 > would share your experience.
8
9 I have some experience on a quite similar field. The entire network is using
10 the same DHCP server; when the system boots from the network (which is only
11 allowed with the appropriate credentials af course) a small Linux image is
12 downloaded and started.
13
14 That image fires up the machine, connects to a PartImage server and places
15 an image on the file system. The image itself is not tied to a particular
16 host as all configuration specific to the system is obtained from LDAP or
17 otherwise.
18
19 However, due to the lack of PartImage development speed, I am contemplating
20 on developing something more robust and flexible, so I am also interested in
21 hearing from others...
22
23 Wkr,
24 Sven Vermeulen