From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Pretty Slideshow
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 09:39:10
1 Hi
2
3 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
4
5 > I don't know whether we should want to cater first-time linux users. I
6 > certainly wouldn't recommend gentoo to first-time users. The gentoo focus is
7 > on more savvy users and there is plenty to break in gentoo, and the
8 > environment doesn't invite point-and-click users either. In any case gentoo
9 > started out as a distribution for power users. Gradually more people started
10 > using gentoo. Besides many more power users that included system admins
11 > (enterprise users) and less savvy users. Let it be clear that everyone who
12 > finds gentoo usefull for himself is more than welcome to use it, but we
13 > shouldn't try to focus on being a beginners distro as we're not, and doing so
14 > would alienate the core group of people (our user base, the people who man
15 > the forum, the community) who make gentoo what it is.
16
17 Absolutely. I think the idea of a slideshow is not that bad, but one
18 should be able to disable it.
19
20 blubb