From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] educating users
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:52:13
1 On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 16:25 +0000, Erick Michau wrote:
2 > My point is: if some newbies would like to defend the idea of a quiz or
3 > whatsoever, could that be possible to post it on forums.gentoo.org
4 > rather than to this mailing list? We would have much more people reading
5 > and commenting and more HCI experts to help the devs out if they need
6 > to. Because now I think the reflexion here is more guided by intuitive
7 > conceptions rather than theories, which is not bad but not the best way...
8
9 I think you're missing the point that this is not designed to make
10 things easier, but rather quicker. We quite simply are more concerned
11 with functionality right now than any kind of HCI mumbo-jumbo. The root
12 problem is that people are assuming that an installer is designed to
13 make things easier for people. It is not. The primary design of the
14 installer, according to the project plan laid out when the installer was
15 first being conceived, is to facilitate rapid deployment. The confusion
16 comes from the users that think that you run the installer on every
17 machine you have, rather than run it once, make a profile, and install
18 it on *hundreds* of machines identically. The installer's primary goal
19 is to facilitate an enterprise computing need, not any HCI needs of
20 users. Perhaps once the core functionality has been completed and bugs
21 have been reduced, this can be looked into, but it isn't so much of a
22 concern as getting the code written and functional.
25 Chris Gianelloni
26 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
27 Games - Developer
28 Gentoo Linux