From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] educating users
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 22:49:44
1 On 9/18/05, Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > This is something that's been in the back of my mind for a while, but I
4 > haven't
5 > really come up with any good solutions for.
6 >
7 > With the release of the installer, we will be getting a lot of users who
8 > have
9 > never done a manual install and haven't/won't read the handbook. This is
10 > obviously not desirable due to the increased amount of dumb questions that
11 > will
12 > flood #gentoo and the gentoo-user ML.
13 >
14 > My idea was for a "quiz" from the handbook before the user is allowed to
15 > use the
16 > installer. This would force them to atleast skim the handbook before using
17 > the
18 > installer. This idea has been met with a lot of resistance by other
19 > developers,
20 > even though I had a lot of support for it about 6-8 months back.
21 >
22 > Do anyone else have a better idea?
25 Hmm... I'm not sure I know what you are saying about the impending flood of
26 noobs but I don't quite agree with the quiz. Perhaps we should have a
27 required reading similar to a license agreement that explains the fact
28 Gentoo isn't an easy distro for those new to Linux that you have to read to
29 use the installer. I'm not sure that there is really a good answer to this
30 question.
31
32 -Mike
36 Michael E. Crute
37 Software Developer
38 SoftGroup Development Corporation
39
40 Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
41 "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"